Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dear Body



This one is near and dear to my heart.  The idea has been traveling around the internet so I can not take all the credit, but these words are my own.

I know that there are many men out there who suffer from physical self doubt, but this one is for all the women close and far who torture themselves with insecurities.  Who say things to themselves about their bodies that they would never ever under any circumstances say to others.  This is for the beauties that hide and hurt and cry because their bodies do not match those in the magazines, or those that they have created in their minds.  This is for my friends with whom I’ve mutually encouraged self body hatred – we are doing ourselves a disservice and I vow to stop.  Today I am making “Fat” the worst word in the world.  I know that these few words will not take away all of my insecurities.  I know that this apology will not wipe out those bad body days where I discredit everything that my body gives to me.  But it helps.  Every time a woman stands up for the healthy body she has, to herself or others, it helps.  Because my body is a wonder and I am so lucky to have it and that it works.  And because who I am, in myself, is so much more than my body.

******************************************************

Dear Body,

I’m so sorry for how I’ve treated you in the past.  And for the neglect you have sometimes suffered.

I’m sorry for all of the times I have discredited you and devalued all of the amazing talents and skills you possess.
  
I’m sorry for all of the times I’ve pushed you too hard or pushed you too little.

I’m sorry for the times I have put unhealthy things into you for the very wrong reasons.

Please forgive the times I have fried your hair and your skin.

I’m sorry that I don’t let you sleep as much as you need when you need.

I apologize for the sick amts of caffeine you are forced to endure.  And the chemical sweeteners (I’m sorry too that it ain’t changing any time soon)

I’m sorry for the lack of flossing (and sometimes brushing…) and face washing…and moisturizing.

I’m sorry for depriving you of the vitamins you need and then blaming you for the resulting exhaustion.  My bad.

I’m sorry for calling you fat. 

And for all of the negative and disparaging things I have said about you and to you.

I’m so very sorry for all of the times I’ve said I hate you.  I deeply regret not loving you for all of the wonderful things you’ve given me.

I really do love you, you know.  Thanks for hanging in there with me!

Muah.

Love,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I love this. You've just inspired me to write a letter to my own body. Thank you!
    Amanda Hail

    ReplyDelete