Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Power of One

We've all heard that starfish story right?  Here's the basic premise just in case you've somehow missed it. There's a beach that has thousands of starfish that have somehow washed up onto shore.  And a little boy is walking down the beach picking one up and throwing it back into the ocean.  One by one picking up the stranded starfish and putting them back in the sea.  And along comes a man who says to the little boy, "why bother?  There are so many you can't possibly make a difference."  And the little boy picks up one more starfish and hurls it into the ocean and says "made a difference to that one."

Thats how I felt last week.  There are thousands upon thousands of people who are invested and interested in the outcomes of the supreme court hearings last week and I am one of them.  And sometimes it feels fruitless to fight against the thousands (millions?) of people whose minds are still closed and whose hearts have not yet seen that there is room in this world for all of us.  But it makes a difference.  The smallest gestures, they make a difference. If only to one person - but in my book that counts.  It counts big.

So I wrote a little blog post about the power these laws (or lack there of) have over me and my marriage and it blew up.  And people I didn't even know read it.  And I hope that it changed a few minds and a few hearts. Maybe even just one.  


But I can tell you one thing.  It changed my life.  Seeing all that red made a difference to me.  It reminded me that there are people out there who are willing to fight for others.  It reminded me that my life and my marriage count.  


It reminded me that one person CAN make a difference.

So Thank You.  No matter the outcome now or in 100 years (because I know love and kindness and truth and compassion - they always win) - It made a difference to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment